Saturday, April 12, 2008

Blah blah blah

Yesterday was probably the most productive day since I was told to stay off my feet, which means I didn't exactly follow doctor's orders, but actually my feet weren't so bad. Finished off the nursery, finished the last steps of putting the baby swing together (Ray did the nuts and bolts but left the cushion and mobile stuff to me), did some laundry including the last of the baby laundry (Ha! The last of the baby laundry! Did I just say that? It was the last of the pre-washing anyway.), did some general clean up, and started cooking in bigger batches so we can freeze more leftovers for those first few days after we bring baby home. (Side note - I doubled up on a casserole that I make infrequently because although it is sooooo good it is also sooooooooooooo fatty. So if you're in the mood for a disgustingly oily but yummy dish, let me know and I'll pass on the easy recipe.) So, things around here are certainly coming along. The last big task that I'd like to get done before baby & guests arrive, that probably won't get completed to my (or Ray's) satisfaction, is to clean up/organize/hide my craft stuff. It's taken over the dining room and I'm baffled as to how I can keep it handy enough that I will use it (don't want it to be out of sight and out of mind), but without having it on display in the current ugly mismatched rubbermaids and cardboard boxes, but keeping it portable enough for me to take it to crop days and retreats, and finally while keeping the dining room an actual dining room. So far the only solution I have come up with is slightly less than viable: move to a home with at least 3 bedrooms and have a craft room that is mine all mine.

There were quite a few sets of brackets in that run-on paragraph. (I'd count, but I'm too lazy.)

On an entirely different note, I'd like to tell you a story about my husband. I'm sure he'd tell it differently, but here is how I see it.


Scrabulous (an online version of Scrabble) has become part of the daily lives of Ray and I. Early on Ray introduced me to a website that helps you find words within your seven letters. He admits to using it when he plays against strangers, but we agreed we would never use it when we play against each other. Recently he beat me quite badly, with his score being well over 400 points - quite impressive, and slightly suspicious, but he vehemently denies cheating in this game with quite a bit of indignance, so I believe him. Today I suggested we play a game with both of us using that website he had shown me to help us, just to see how much of a difference it would make in our strategies and scores. It was neck and neck for a good while, but then Ray pulled ahead in and in the end beat me. As the game was coming to a close, he admitted to me that he cheated - his word, not mine. He had not been using the website we had agreed to, he was using a different website to cheat, one that not only unscrambles your letters into possible words, but also tells you the ideal place to put the word on the board based on all of the previous moves. It actually keeps a running mirror of our actual game board on the site, he just plugged in the letters he had each turn it and the program dictated exactly what the optimal move was each turn. In effect, he actually didn't play the game at all, the website did. When Ray confessed this to me, he was quite pleased with himself, and did not at all understand why I was angry. Well, that would be because he CHEATED. We flat out agreed to each use the one website for help, and he flat out cheated by using a different website unbeknownst to me. By the end of that discussion, he was backtracking and saying it wasn't really cheating since the whole game was a cheat with both of us using outside help. I maintain it was cheating because we agreed to one set of terms and he went ahead and played by different terms altogether. Bingo word of the day: CHEATER. Minimum 62 points.

I told Ray I was going to blog about this to expose him for the cheater that he is. He requested that I reiterate the point that he does not use those websites in regular game play - he doesn't want this blog to alienate his regular opponents since he enjoys playing the game so much. Karen et al, I'll leave that up to you.

Ray does earn a fair amount of brownie points though. He didn't say a word about me polishing off more than my share of those Girl Guide cookies or the ice cream before that. He brought home some chips I'd mentioned I'd been craving but hadn't actually asked for. He brought me flowers for no particular reason. Right now he is baking chocolate muffins, and a few minutes ago he even brought me a sampling of the batter. All of this and more just in the past week. He's a keeper I think. Love you, hun :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good morning Julie,
It looks to me lke you have the nesting thing going on. It won't be long before you have a little one in that nest.
As for Ray and cheating to win. Well he loves to be on the winning end of things.
I'm so glad you want to keep him as we have let his warranty run out. Love and see you soon.
Granny Yarbrough