Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Home stretch

Dang, these blogs are getting to be frequent. I must have a lot on my mind. Wonder why that is?

Oh yeah!


Only four sleeps until the due date. Sometimes I think I'm as ready as I'm going to be, so bring it on. Other times I think holy %&*# I can't believe I'm within days of this baby's arrival! No more countdown in months or even weeks. I'm talking in days (or sleeps) now. Soon I might be talking in days or sleeps overdue. Overdue! I can tell people I'm nine months pregnant. Decisions and tasks that I've been putting off until closer to the birth-day can't be delayed any longer. But I'm so good at procrastinating!

I've been working on what to pack in the hospital bag. I'm finding it much more difficult than I expected. Of course there's that bit of anxiety of forgetting something crucial, but then I remind myself that we live like 4 blocks from the
hospital and stores are close by, so it's not like Ray can't dash out for any forgotten items. Beyond that, I don't know how to actually get the bag ready when so much of what will go into it is still being used regularly. On the one hand I want the bag ready so we can grab it and dash out the door when the time comes, but on the other hand I'm still using the clothes and toiletries and whatnot that I would pack. I don't know what to pack for the baby, because I have a hard time picking a "coming home" outfit since I have no concept for how big the baby will be versus how big all these clothes are. How do you know if it will fit? Hey Moms, any tips?

We had a visit with the Landy's on Sunday, and that darn Lori went and gave me a box of girl guide cookies. Guess how long they lasted? Damn I just have absolutely no willpower with those things. (By the way, I was asked whether girl guide cookies are the same as girl scout cookies in the states - yes and no! Very similar organization, but in Canada they only sell two types that I know of - chocolate mint, and combo boxes of vanilla and chocolate cookies (oreo style). I hear in the States they have a zillion different kinds - I think I would be overwhelmed!)

Ray and I went out on a date last night. :) We had a gift certificate to a place we would not normally go to, and figured this was good timing - get in one last date night just the two of us. It was a steak and seafood place and boy was it tasty! Oh my goodness it was soooo tasty. I ate way too much of course and was uncomfortable for the rest of the night, but the meal was so worth it. Oh and the music was fabulous - I don't think they played a single song I didn't love, and it was pretty eclectic. I would totally go back, except that it was also soooooo expensive. It was a great treat but I can't imagine spending that again! Cost aside, it was a wonderful evening: just us, no distractions, beautiful weather for the walk afterwards. Perfection :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you got in a date night it is always nice to have a good meal and a gift certificate. As for what to take for the baby to come home in from my experience it won't fit anyway. It will be to big and the boys were all from 8 pound to almost 10 pounds and the outfits were to big. Warm and dry are the way baby wants to be. As for your hospital bag,just overnight things and anything you need Ray can run get if you can get him to leave your side. Do you know how long you will have to stay(what is standard). with insurance here you get a three day stay, with no insurance you are sent home the same day in most cases.
Love Granny Yarbrough

Jay said...

Hey girl! I am glad to hear your hanging in there. Won't be long now. Did your prenatal class give you a list of things to bring with you? If not let me know and I can email my old list to you. :)

As for clothes. Ariel was 8lb 11oz and uber tiny. Plus after our 3 night stay due to c-section, she dropped another pound. I had taken a 0-3 month outfit and it was like clown clothes. Haha. While in the hospital I got a newborn outfit as a gift (usually they are things that are for 7-9lb babies or preemies) It was perfect and she actually wore those things for the first few weeks because she was tiny. Its nice to have something that fits.

If all goes well you will only be there for 24 hours, and the only thing you might want Ray to bring is REAL food. The gal in the next room ordered Chinese food after her birth. lol.