Friday, January 22, 2010

Howard made more furniture!

Check out the amazing big girl bed Grampa made for Lillian!

Lillian's Big Girl Bed From Grampa Jan 2010 (6)

Isn't it gorgeous? I love having the drawers underneath. And knowing Howard's work, this bed ought to last Lillian for years and years... maybe her own kids can use it one day! And check out that wonderful colourful quilt that Lillian's Great Grandma made (Sally's Mom). So beautiful!

Even though there is no mattress yet, it seems it's a great place for story time with Gramma (or "Amma" as it is currently pronounced).

Lillian's Big Girl Bed From Grampa Jan 2010 (1)

Also seems comfortable enough to nap on, sans mattress.

Lillian's Big Girl Bed From Grampa Jan 2010 (4)

Don't worry, we'll find a mattress soon! She still sleeps in the crib for now, and we have lots of time for the transition before the new baby moves in.

In other news... Lillian fell head over heels with a new lovey earlier this week. She and I were browsing a second hand store that had plenty of kids' stuff, when she spotted Ernie (of Sesame Street fame - she LOVES all things Sesame Street, which I am actually pretty tickled with). I lifted him up to check the price, then went to put him back, opting not to splurge. Well of course since I got to hold him, Lillian wanted to also. I let her shake his hand to say goodbye, but instead she snatched him into a big hug and followed that up with a big kiss. So, we bought Ernie. Now she has four lovey friends that she must have in bed with her and often plays with throughout the day: Baby (from Santa), Elmo (the one dollar find at a church bazaar), Annie (as in Raggedy, from Oma), and now Ernie. I'd love to find a plush Abby Cadabby for her someday, but I think even the big girl bed would be a little crowded!

And on a totally different note I'm going to do something I don't think I've ever done before - share a recipe! We had this for dinner the other day and it was soooo good I decided I shouldn't keep it to myself. Sally had the grand idea of trying to copy the White Spot dish called "Chicken, Broccoli & Cheese" that's baked with a bit of curry in the sauce. I found one that seemed similar online and tweeked it only a little. We served it over rice so it would soak up the sauce, and mmmmmmmmmmmmm. So, so, so good. Here you go:

Ingredients
4 single chicken breasts, cooked and chopped
2 heads broccoli, cut up, cooked and drained well
1 1/2 cups sour cream
1 1/2 cups mayonnaise
1 1/2 cups chicken broth
2 teaspoons curry powder
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
Parmesan cheese

Directions
1.Preheat oven to 350F.
2.Put the chicken in a greased casserole. Top with the broccoli.
3.In a bowl, whisk together the sour cream, mayonnaise, chicken broth, and curry powder; pour over broccoli.
4.Bake 20 minutes or until hot and bubbly.
5.Sprinkle with cheeses. Broil 5 minutes or until top is crispy.
6.Serve over plain rice - remember to spoon on extra sauce!

This quantity (with rice) fed 4 Yarbrough adults plus Lillian at 20 months old, with leftovers to serve two.

Tell me if you try it!

One last sidenote - I tried an online photo processing site for the first time this week and FYI, it was great! After doing some price comparisons, I went with Winkflash (though I was looking at American prices, not sure which site would have one if I were looking at Canadian prices). I ordered 122 photos for $11.04 including shipping after using a coupon for 50 free prints, which is definitely cheaper than what I usually pay at Wal-Mart. And I received it in just under a week, which is fine by me. Quality is good too. Hooray for a new money-saving easy service!

TTFN!

1 comment:

Lori said...

Oh my God - we need a Howard!!!!! Last weekend we disassembled the two rather rickety bunk beds that we've had for years...and made 2 single beds that are much sturdier. But Howard's bed for Lillian is FABULOUS!!! Jealous!!!!

And do some research for the best Canadian deal for online photo developing will ya?!?! I usually do either Wal-mart (I wait for sales) or Costco. Love that you, who never took any photos, had 122 to order now that you have kids. Hate to say it....but "I told you so!"

And the recipe sounds great to me!!! But I have kids who just really don't like cooked brocoli?!?!? Now that you've tired it - do you think that I could subsitute other veggies that they may actually eat?!?! About how many cups of broccoli was there - I could try some other mixture of veggies. Any suggestions.

Keep the blogs coming!!! Thinking I may have to try it myself?!?!?! Any tips on getting started?!?!?